Friday, February 15, 2008

GETTING TO GRIPS WITH GRAMMAR

I love watching how my kids acquire language. The bi-/tri-lingual dimension makes it extra-special when you are linguistically-minded, but I'll leave Thomas to document today's sweet Danish development. Today's simple English puzzle was two-fold: irregular verbs and phrasal verbs. Léon dropped something and wanted to say: It fell down. Simple enough, but he has already worked out that past tenses should end in 'ed'. The adverb confused him further, so we ended up, not with the expected: It falled down, but instead, the rather cute: It fell downed!

1 comment:

Sebastian said...

I would think, that he has a verb "fall down" and not a verb and an adverb.

Could you trick him into inflecting just "fall" og try using another adverb, just to check my thesis. ;)